Tuesday, January 16, 2018

#15 Flowers!

It's mid January and I so many of the things that make me happiest are during the warmer months. I've learned that re-hashing these memories and moments are making the cold winter days go by faster!

For those of you who knew me when I was younger realize my dad had a beautiful yard full of a wide variety of flowers, bushes, shrubs and trees. He was/is a great landscaper. Mainly, when people think of my dad and flowers, they think of his iris! Gradually he has given this up as he's been aging but he's passed a little dose of it on to me. I have a smaller yard and much less patience and physical stamina but I truly love flowers and landscaping! I have been fortunate enough to have my dad teach me about the care and maintenance of so many different flowers. I doubt my retirement will consist of 8 hour days in my yard but I'm really grateful for what my dad has taught me. In 2013/2014 my dad and I planned 3 main flower beds for my yard.  I've added 1-2 flower beds each summer since then.

My daffodils have a hard time coming up but I can officially say there's about 3 months to wait for tulips!

People of any age or level of function can enjoy the beauty of flowers. Landscaping can be tricky with my physical disability but I haven't let it stop me yet!  I have to be extra careful with positioning my body and completing the physical output it takes to have a beautiful yard.  However, one of my favorite things about landscaping is getting lost in my thoughts while physically moving and having such a pretty result!  It pays off when you work to maintain the hobbies and traditions that truly make you smile!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...