Tuesday, January 9, 2018

#12 Yoga

I have expressed before my gratitude for yoga. I like learning about how movement, breathing and overall awareness impacts my body. It makes the "big bad thing" smaller and not such a big deal.

Since I do yoga often, I do not have to take muscle relaxers, prescriptions for physical aliments or even cold medicine. I am at risk to potentially have surgeries to have my tendons clipped for lengthening and/or excess visits to outpatient rehab clinics but because of yoga the muscles and tendons in my legs are more flexible than they've ever been.

Despite the fact that I do not look very graceful when I am doing yoga poses while in class I have learned that yoga is about being kind to my body with positive thinking as I am moving. I have learned there are several ways to adapt movements and poses so I am able to do them easier. When I attempt yoga and other physical activities it's obvious that physically I will struggle. This is when my confidence, inner strength and ability to laugh at myself shines through. Yoga has been able to allow me to let these strengths appear while I am trying new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...