Sunday, June 12, 2016

SLEEP/REST.





When I think of a true Siesta Hut, I feel like Rest is important to think about and discuss.

This area became it's own separate area to the OT uniform terminology after I completed my undergrad degree. I think it makes sense this is an actual performance area that OTs can focus on and assist the populations they serve with their expertise. Many individuals with illness, acute injuries and chronic disabilities have difficulties sleeping. Actually most of us start out by not sleeping enough as young adults and we are thought of as unusual if we are keeping track of appropriate amounts of sleep. Then, as middle aged adults it is the social norm to add as many responsibilities and obligations as possible to our lives. Sleep is never really an obligation until an illness, injury or chronic health problem enters our lives. How do you think this effects work performance/productivity or more importantly the ability to play and enjoy things that bring happiness to our lives?

There are many mattresses, pillows and even prescription drugs on the market that help assist people with a better nights rest. But how much do we really value sleep/rest in our society? With my physical disability my mom took my rest/sleep patterns very seriously. I think she could tell a difference in my walking and sleep patterns. As an adult I take my sleep patterns a little less seriously than I should but I think we all do. It seems like when good or bad stress occurs my body is physically and physiologically effected which disturbs my sleep. Then a couple of weeks will go by where I am playing catch up. It amazes me that sleeping in longer on the weekends (not waking up at the same time everyday) and falling asleep to a screen (TV, laptop or phone) are all inappropriate sleep patterns.

I feel like my favorite time to sleep is midnight to 8:30am and this is during the summer. I am a creature that could truly hibernate because I am totally effected by the daylight in terms of when I like to sleep. Why not listen to my body and go with the flow? Because of that other performance area.,..work.

What would it be like to have a job or a role researches sleep and rest? Shall I just continue to find out??

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...