Tuesday, June 21, 2016

International Yoga Day!

As a side note of our 6 weeks of Adventure - today is International Day of Yoga! I am also going to try and discuss Yoga and other forms of physical fitness every Tuesday regardless of the themes for each month. Since January I have been going to yoga class every Monday night. So I thought it would be fun to discuss yoga the next day.

My questions for all of you are..........
Have you participated in different forms of yoga?

What are your favorite types of yoga?

What are your favorite yoga poses?

How has yoga changed your life?

The past week while practicing yoga at home I noticed I was able to stand on my left leg as a counted to 107 seconds! It wasn't a full 107 seconds because I was counting too fast. But, this is major improvement! I was only able to stand on my right leg 24 seconds. Because I am an OT I am just fascinated how everyone has a strong side, a more coordinated side and more flexible side to their body. I am still working on exhaling longer than I take a inhale and I have learned that this actually allows for more flexibility in the body parts I am focused on during each pose. My fingerstips are now touching during forward folds whereas before I was used to touching the top of my ankles. I do believe this is better than ever having surgery tendons/muscles/bones/nerves which is a common practice for people with cerebral palsy.

Comment. Let's make this a discussion each Tuesday.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...