Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Is Yoga Really an Adventure?

This month I have been reflecting a lot on my adventures. This blog which was started in 2012 is a way for me to reflect and gain insight on who I am am and where my life is headed. Since 2012 I have been in a phase of self discovery.  Even though I am a planner and love routines every so often someone will mention how adventurous I am or how rich my life is.  Since I have been really been honing in on my adventurous nature the past week or so, I have started to realize quite possibly - this is true. And that brings a smile to my face.

Because I strive with a routine and sometimes I fumble around with really wanting to change, and I am one of the only people from Holt in my generation not to move away, and I am not married I guess I have allowed myself to think that I am kind of just ordinary.  But I am beginning to view things a little differently.

So, on Sunday I began thinking, it's almost yoga Tuesday. Is yoga an adventurous component on my life? In a shallow sense, no. It's ordinary and very easy to say that I go to class each week because I feel less sore and I can see changes in my body. I attend the class rather than you tube videos for the social component and that structure/follow through that I can stick with the challenge for 60 minutes each week.

But when you begin to learn about the philosophy and foundation of yoga and what it provides for the human body, mind and spirit your perspective changes.  It's truly your own personal counseling session and roller coaster ride.  Last night 5 of us worked on hugging the wall and the easy peasy tree pose and planks for 1 minute.  I know all of you are thinking tree pose is not that hard, it looks so easy. I will say it now those individuals doing tree poses and down dogs perfectly have put hours of practice and have the calmest, most focused mind sets of anyone else around you. In class we have also worked our way through preparing ourselves for the wheel pose and shoulder stand (among others).


Was I able to do any of these poses correctly?  Well there lies the adventure! As well as the self discovery!

Unless you are 8 months to 4 years old I would suspect that grabbing your feet and standing on your head is sort of an adventure! Some adults truly feel that sitting or laying on the floor is a bit odd!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...