Monday, November 27, 2017

The Big Bad Thing.



I was born a "blue baby" because of the lack of oxygen I received at birth.
I didn't sit up unsupported until I was a year old and used a walker much longer than most babies entering into toddler hood.
I wasn't running to keep up with the other toddlers around 1.5-2 years.
The orthopedic doctor told my parents I would never walk long distances in malls or amusement parks.
I'm certain my parents and other family members wondered if I would be smart, do good in school and play like other children.
I was teased and felt singled out growing up.
I didn't always fit in with kids who were disabled either.
I'm not good at roller skating or ice skating.
I had double the homework other kids did. To stay caught up and on grade level and also because regular assignments took longer.
Even though I'm active my symptoms increase when I am tired (I trip more often and my speech is more slurred, etc.).
At the age of 13, I told myself since I had cerebral palsy perfection in all other areas of life was important.
I questioned whether I could drive, work, become a parent or go to college due to my physical limitations.
I'm a poor test taker.
And actually, I'm a poor note taker.
Filling an online dating profile was a huge fear to conquer.
Talking to guys in a busy bar was an even bigger fear.
Employers have looked at me as I've entered an interview and stated I shouldn't be interviewing at their place of employment.
I have been "let go" by an employer due to my disability.
Since the age of 18 I have experienced chronic pain during different phases of my life.
I also get spasms at night while falling asleep if I am experiencing stress.
Growing up I thought all of the annoying stuff about my disability would disappear or get easier.
It hasn't gotten easier or disappeared.
On a daily basis kids ask why I talk and walk funny.

Who Cares? One of the biggest life lessons to learn is we all have our baggage. What each of us choose to do with it is our own personal decision. I was given a personality and soul to teach and set an example for others to take the shitty hand we are dealt and turn it into something great. Here's my shit......and my further posts are how I've interpreted it and made the absolute most out of my journey, so far.



1 comment:

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...