Wednesday, November 22, 2017

It Takes a Village

This month I have been trying to think of the deepest levels of gratitude. Don't get me wrong, since I am a white middle class woman in her mid-thirties it is easy to think of 30 (+) reasons to be grateful. My family, my friends, my cats, my house, my career. I have more material things than I need and a full life. I've just wanted to dig deeper.

I thought of things that help me get through rough moments or days such as yoga and writing. And I have remembered the unique opportunities I have been given. Which has allowed me to realize I have a bright future full of even more opportunities.

The way my life path has gone thus far, makes me feel very unique and also very, very fortunate. As a young child with cerebral palsy the chances were slim my educational career would be positive and pursue an education that led me to a graduate degree. There's inaccurate test scores, assumptions, discrimination, over worked educators, bureaucracies, loop holes, laws or even parents who lack knowledge or courage to push for their kids. I think about this several times a week. When I'm feeling like I have misfortune, I think of the things that went right and this allows me to keep moving forward with a smile.

Every so often there is a circumstance beyond the daily service times, Medicaid billing, emails and meetings where this reminder of where I came from was a well played song and dance of laws and loop holes and what was right for me as an individual student. There were some close calls as to where my journey could have looked very different. It took a village of adults passionately brainstorming with a level head to lead me to where I currently am. One or 2 mishaps, my journey would have been different. I'm grateful it turned out the way it did.

I'm also reminded since the end result turned out so well that I have professional expertise to understand the laws, bureaucracies and loop holes with an extra shot of personal stuff to be the sound level headed advocate for kids who also are fighting to show their strengths and abilities beyond what the paperwork can show.

Today and everyday, I am grateful for my village. I am also grateful I've had the opportunity to be apart of so many villages! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...