Sunday, July 2, 2017

Vision Therapy Update



I have been working on improving my health and overall view of the world and this life I'm leading.

So what better time for me to commit to vision therapy which was recommended after an evaluation by a Optometrist last August.

Being an Occupational Therapist in a professional sense I knew the muscles in my eyes were not strong and ready to lead the busy professional life I have. In my early 20s I couldn't see without my glasses for the drivers test for several seconds until I had time to focus my eyes. By my mid 20s it wasn't that I couldn't see the clock down the hall, it just took effort and was exhausting. Each year the Ophthalmologist would give me a stronger prescription for being near sighted. I noticed my right eye drifting off in pictures of myself. So, I mentioned this to the Ophthalmologist and had a prism put in my lens.  I also could no longer stand in high open places and this included going down an open staircase and this challenge seemed to be increasing. What was wearing glasses to drive only at night and to read subtitles on a far away screen became wearing glasses for near nearsightedness with a prism at all times.

Being a school based therapist, I had read about kids with attention issues struggling with vision problems and I knew I could relate that to myself. I spent years of poor test taking and highlighting everything I read during college. Knowing what I did I was willing to accept that I was happier doing puzzles, scrap booking, watching TV than I was at reading for pleasure. Something was up but I was just going to deal with it. Last summer I mentioned my phone/computer screen going blurry as I wore my glasses to read. So I mentioned something during my annual checkup thinking due to my age it was a true change in acuity. Days after I fearfully rode my bike across The Golden Gate Bridge I was asked about my visual changes and my life style. I'm impressed with the holistic approach of that Ophthalmologist. From this conversation I was told I more than likely had poor depth perception for a few reasons and a further evaluation was her recommendation. Maybe that bike ride wouldn't have been so full of fear after my 20 weeks in vision therapy?!?  

I did not begin vision therapy without serious thought. It is money out of pocket since it's not covered by insurance and 20 weeks of weekly appointments (if a week is missed a new week is tagged on to receive 20 sessions). It wasn't going to be just a summer thing and there's daily homework. I was so excited to learn about eyes/muscles/the effects of the whole person. I was excited to pass these things onto my kids. This is like a behind the scenes college course. That part excited me. Truly I can get my geek on! I took a vision conference and got some background of what it was that was going on and what I could potentially experience going through therapy. Yes, I was going to commit to this. So I chose as late as I could on a Thursday and by the end of April began my journey. I left a handful of IEPs early (of course 4pm on Thursday's became super popular). And many nights after the school day, meetings, report writing, errands I did my VT exercises at 10pm. Homework is everyday - not just when your sitting around watching TV.

Each week I get a tiny square to write about progress on my exercises and I write about a paragraph. I was told this is unusual. I ask as many geeky, detailed questions as possible each week. I've begun to notice it's more comfortable to read without my glasses. I have also noticed I can walk around for awhile without my glasses and my eyes aren't strained. This is similar to where my sight was 10 years ago. I still am not so hot with going down stairs, or being on bridges and mountain cliffs. It limited my exploration on vacation! I had my first 8 week eval with the Optometrist last week and my eyes are working together up close (my right eye is no longer being suppressed as much). However, I need to work on more exercises with far away work because my right eye still shuts down. We (doc, therapist and I) are unclear of what my script will be when I'm done in November.  There's potential that it could change. I still haven't seen double - so without me working at it, my right eye is......suppressed (asleep essentially).

But hey, it's a chance to learn even more about my body and how everything is connected! It's kind of like I am doing yoga for my eyes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...