Monday, July 3, 2017

Taking small steps...to time well spent

I would love to wake up everyday and just allow myself time to practice a happy, healthy, holistic approach to life. I don't think I'll ever have my 6 months of "Eat, Pray, Love."

But here I go....stumbling along,

Part of my vision therapy exercises this week is to use flippers with various levels of lens to assure my eyes can readjust and focus at various levels while I am reading.  I wear a patch over 1 eye while I'm flipping the lens every couple of paragraphs as I read, after 5 minutes I switch and do the other eye. I like this because this spring I have been wanting to read more to expand my writing skills and also to stop empty minutes of TV watching and Facebook browsing.

So, I have been increasing my eye muscles as I expand my knowledge and I have really been enjoying what I have been reading.

Last week at the store I picked up a Newsweek focused entirely on Mindfulness. This issue couldn't have come at a better time for me.

There have been a few quotes that I truly believe in from this issue of Newsweek...."Going at your own pace, with decisiveness." I have written about this in the past. Physically I act and move slow from my motor movements to how I intake and digest food. I also accept change and move forward in small increments as I inch my way forward. This all works well for me because of my sensitive nature......I make mountains out of mole hills in the most positive way possible. So a tiny jolt of change, feels like I was electrocuted. Rather than feeling like I am quirky with slow physical output and change, I can just say I'm on the path to being Mindful. 


Today I read an article about a solider in the military who used Mindfulness along with physical exercise to survive through his time in Iraq. By having a holistic approach to increase his spirituality, physical, mental and emotional health he was able to believe he was going to survive and become stronger through these life threatening experiences. It prevented him from gaining PTSD and allowed him to form a business based on his practices! Through his business he reaches out to other soldiers and everyday mom's who are apart of the workforce. He's a modern day soldier who follows the practices of ancient warriors which in turn is making his community and world around him stronger.

After reading today, I continued on with a few minutes of yoga stretches (after reading that article, how could I just plop down a watch daytime TV or hop onto Facebook)?

But the realization hit me.....it's not about the environment I work in, stresses of daily life or full access to junk in the media determining the mood I'm in.

It's Me! And the choices I decide to make of how I use my time!

1 comment:

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...