Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Living Life to it's Fullest at Age 12!

I haven't been inclined or inspired to write about 1 person up until my time spent with my son's friend, Ryan! He is remarkable and our time together is cherished.

I have known this kid his entire life (12 years) and I am able to say he has so many of his mom's personality traits. There is never a dull moment with Ryan or his mom for that matter.

It was a normal summer evening and annual visit with my life long friend and her family. Actually, when I am able to see these friends only one time a year, it's never a normal evening. I was so excited to see Lori, her mom, daughter, niece and son Ryan. There were 6 of us headed to Grand Haven, so we had to take 2 cars. I drove separate and Ryan announced he would ride with me as I followed the full car of ladies. I adore each of these kids who are now 12, 13 and 14 years old. I'm also an educator, therefore I should have no difficulty in carrying on a conversation with a 12 year old boy. But I still wondered how am I going to fill the awkward moments of silence with this 12 year old boy. I'm cool...he's cool.....but still....he's a 12 year old boy!

Why this thought of awkward silence ever crossed my mind is beyond me?

There are some pretty outstanding stories about Ryan. He's active, smart and perceptive beyond his age and sometimes in the school setting or a setting when it's time to be boring, this can be tricky. However, it's also been shared with me that he has paid for a homeless man's meal at Chick-fil-a with his own allowance and has asked an elderly woman who was sitting alone in a food court if he could sit with her to chat.

I will now make a list of things Ryan was ready to have a fluid conversation about:

1. He asked me if I ever traveled out of the country? We discussed potential motion sickness on cruise ships & he filled me in on his opportunity to go to Mexico. I asked "if he could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?" Without hesitation......Mexico again and Fiji. And with hesitation....San Francisco. You know, to see the Oakland NBA team play. Of course, why else would the Bay Area be second on someone's list to travel.

2. His illness the day of his 6th grade graduation. Poor Fella.

3. He asked if I had ever been to Science Camp. I had not. So, I asked he had fun. I received an instant "No." and a long explanation as to why.

4. The history of Cat Calling! You see at 16 I was quiet and naive but my spunky side was waiting to sneak out. Lori (Ryan's mom) taught me how to Cat Call out the window of the car while cruising the strip in Grand Haven. We would Cat Call, then duck so the guy receiving the call would think it was my aunt and Lori's mom (the older ladies in the back seat). Ryan listened to the story as thoughtful as possible and asked "Is this Cat Calling thing to pick up men?"

5. The fact that I live in Lansing - not Whitehall. Each kid, Maddy (14), Ella (13) and Ryan never knew I lived 2 hours away from Whitehall. I explained to Ryan when he was a baby and still lived in Michigan I'd stay overnight at his house. He explained that he didn't remember because only his visual memory was good....not the rest of his memory.

Ryan's idea for his Da'Vinci Project
Throughout the night as we re-joined the rest of the group I kept telling Lori and her mom how much Ryan reminded me of his mom. It's literally like my forever friend's soul is living within this child! So, I couldn't get enough of our conversations. While in Grand Haven Ryan held the door for me, his mom and grandma. During dinner he checked to make sure we had enough napkins, silverware, etc. When we were out shopping Lori and I were sitting outside with the group while the teenagers shopped. Ryan, handed his mom a bag and said "I bought you this because it looked like you." Again, there's Lori's soul.

Many of us have encountered remarkable kids and it's hard for me to capture Ryan's enthusiasm and positive attitude towards life. He literally could teach adults how to make others feel comfortable and enjoy life.

He has encouraged me to continue living life to it's fullest and be true to myself at all times. There's more to share about my visit with Ryan but I thought it was important to share the background of who this guy is!

Stay tuned! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...