Sunday, July 30, 2017

Chronic Pain

Over the past couple of days I have been reading other articles on The Mighty written by other adults with CP. There were a few common themes: bullying, over coming obstacles and challenges and the biggest theme was chronic pain.

I write to be positive....I never find myself writing words that are negative or don't show any sign of hope. I believe for me writing is a way to either create an action plan or reflect on the positive things that have happened to me.

With that, I have got to say....chronic pain is very real with aging with cerebral palsy. Currently, it's my neck and shoulder's. I've been hunched over as I sit and walk for about 34-35 years now. My posture for my dumb smart phone is absolutely terrible. My spontaneous decision to increase my strength by extending the amount of time I can do planks individually, without a trainer probably wasn't a wise choice. There's also sleeping positions and use of a shovel for my organization of my flower beds added to the mix. Ouch!

The past couple of weeks have been full of brainstorming and trying different remedies ranging from doing all of my yoga stretches and poses I know for the shoulder and neck area, to the heating pad, to avoiding stomach sleeping to a massage. I've actually given up on quite so much yoga because it's seeming like I've overstretched, pinched or pulled something.

I've felt better since I've been gentle to the area. Until I can get to the chiropractor (with another massage) or maybe even my general physician I am trying to avoid sleeping on my stomach and sore side and doing the bridge yoga pose.

I am going to say Tylenol PM has helped me better than a prescribed muscle relaxer this summer. The prescription also gives me dry mouth which has caused yucky dental side effects. Ice also has not helped, so the pain I'm facing is not inflammation. Not sleeping on my stomach or 1 side is also a challenge. Being in 1 spot for too long causes muscles tension. So I actively switch the position I sleep in 4 times a night.

So, really a portion of my summer has been a party!!

As an OT I am able to brainstorm, attempt remedies and talk with other professionals about the best options when I get stuck in this world of pain. I'm grateful for my expertise and educational background to help me with this personal struggle. However, not every person with CP has this professional experience in their bag of tricks. Even if they are healthy and active; spasticity, inappropriate use/movement of joints and muscles are going to be a major burden for adults with CP. What's fascinating to me is doctors, researchers and other professionals are not putting the information out there in the media to assist adults with cerebral palsy. All of the information the public hears about is for kids with CP. Many times as an adult I have described the issues I face being similar to an individual with an autoimmune disorder even though CP is considered to be non-progressive.

Maybe I am just the person to spread the word!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...