Friday, June 30, 2017

The first two rules of being an educator.........are??

There's so many analogies that go along with my job and this video clip - it's scary. First rule of Fight Club......You do not talk about fight club. Second rule of Fight Club....You do not talk about fight club. I want this to be one of my approaches to work - what happens at work, stays at work. This clip also discusses the individuals being different at work than they were for other components of their life - to some extent I think that's important. I feel like I need to be tough for 31 Sunday nights in a row, tax season and finals week. Mentally some weeks I've feel like I've been through a fight. 

You see, my job has seasons. A series of Sunday nights occurs the entire month of August. IEP season used to be just like tax season is for accountants however IEP season seems to be the 9 months children are attending school, finals week occurs the last 6 weeks of school.....then there's........SUMMER! Siesta.....party........siesta.......party.....siesta, rinse and repeat!

How lucky are we? Very!! 

For myself every summer I forget what it feels like to live through 31 Sunday nights in a row, tax season and finals week.  For about 5-8 weeks I can focus on anything but my job. Family, friends, travel, home improvement projects, Netflix, bike rides and personal growth. The vast majority of the work force does not have this and I'd probably do anything I could to keep this perk. 

This summer, I'm using Siesta time to it's maximum....I'm required to check my email and I am servicing 1 student once a week. However, I have until mid August to be truly detached emotionally and mentally from the pace, repetition and any negative vibes that may occur. It's my way to recharge and be focused on the things I am grateful for. 

The way I see it my attitude and personal perspective towards my job is going to make it or break it for me.........and this break is meant to be just that, a break.  My time, thoughts. planning, ideas, energy, and emotions are going to go towards anything but my job.  Since my body is attached to energy, mentally and emotionally there's no better gift I can give to myself. 

I've heard back to school commercials are out. I have not seen one however if I do I am logging off TV and social media. It will be a done deal for me. 

So, thank you for another year of an unbalanced calendar.......weeks 1 and 2 have been fabulous! 

Let's commence..........shall we :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...