Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Travel

For awhile now I have been thinking about everything life has to offer. Really, when people say they are interested in a hobby there are several different ways to enjoy one thing. I started to realize this when I started thinking about what type of traveler I am.

I grew up  taking very standard family vacations on spring and summer breaks. These places were crowded, full if families taking pictures and souvenir/tourist shops. I've continued to have adventures around the country/world in this fashion. I've been on 3+ Duck Tours - I've you are  comfortable being known as a tourist, take a Duck Tour (they're a blast)!  Once you have started traveling like this you become slightly addicted to see and do as much as possible.  You are not alone, it's a huge industry and for many it's the only way to see other areas of the world from where you came from. I absolutely love these types of vacations, they share some of my fondest memories. But I've begun to notice all of the magnets and sweatshirts look the same........soon the tour guides look the same and crack the same jokes. Anywhere I travel even as a "tourist" with a fannie pack I'm always curious and intrigued by the routine and lives of the people who are living in that area.

I've been able to stay with friends around the country and return to the same spots over and over which has given me the chance to learn a few areas behind the scenes. This has given me the chance to get to know certain neighborhoods. How are they the same as the area I live in? How are they different?

Then there are the areas where I return year after year for good relaxation, tradition and memories that are formed. I'm away from home and my routine which is a great time of respite and rejuvenation.

I've learned taking a day trip, going to a new place in my local area or even driving a different way to work is considered to be apart of traveling. It increases my curiosity and the experiences I have. Knowing I can describe a place or situation based on my own experience makes me feel happy!


Even though I think I am more productive and thrive when I have a routine it still feels really good when I am able to break that routine up and increase my perspective on the world.

I have not worn a fannie pack on a trip since 1998, by the way!

How do all of you like to travel?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...