Thursday, December 14, 2017

#5 Friendship, it's all connected

After writing my about friendship being one of the happiest parts of travel in my last post I began to realize the things that make me the happiest are all interconnected. The friendships I have are one of the biggest components of who I really am.

I am lucky to have a soul that is naturally good at laughing when life seems a little odd, listening, seeing all sides of a situation and being non-judgmental. This has brought so many unique friendships into my life and allows me to be light hearted when I become acquainted with someone.

It makes me happy to know that I have several life long friends who view me as apart of their family or inner circle. I am always on their side with whatever decisions they make and I know they will always be on mine. We share many great memories and fun times such as traveling and seeing new places.

The past year and a half or so, I have realized that I have an actual impact on my friends and acquaintances just by being true to myself! As I have been sharing my thoughts and ideas through my blog I've heard, "You really are an inspiration." "You inspired me to walk across the Mackinaw Bridge on Labor Day."  When I was younger I think my hopes were to be a good OT, good wife, good mom and of course a good friend. But never an inspiration to my friends and acquaintances? It feels like an unplanned gift that this is the path my life is currently taking me. I must say thank you for the gentle nudges, friends!

The Big Bad Thing does not matter when I am socializing or making memories with my life long friends. I am blessed enough to say that most of the time I am able to bring out the best in people and so many individuals have been able to do the same for me.  Whether it's giving a thumbs up in the hallway at work, a deep conversation about where our lives are headed or awesome memories that float into my mind while I'm day dreaming....I am able to actually forget I have CP when I'm conversing with my friends. If that's not a good friendship, I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...