Friday, April 7, 2017

My Body's Hidden Messages

I have heard "listen to your body" before. If you need a nap, take it! If you're craving certain foods don't cut it off completely!  Learn moderation and research why you might be craving certain items. It could reveal a medical issue that was unknown. This is also a big part of yoga. If certain parts of your body scream pain for certain positions, don't force it and find a way to modify it. It's healthiest to let your mind and body work in sync, which for many of us is hard to do.

I am so hesitant to type this but I have said it out loud and it hasn't changed. I have not been sick for 13 months! I've had a few headaches and a few minor sinus clogs....but these have been so minor compared to years past.

I did get a flu shot in January. If I feel a scratchy throat I get out my essential oils for immunity and sinus issues. I do not use essential oils daily. I do attend weekly yoga classes. I totally feel like all these positions and movements flush out the bad stuff, there's really no other explanation.

I've had to look into some painful stomach cramps that have been popping up randomly for a couple of years. Based on what I've described the doctor thinks I'm getting abdominal migraines. Before this was decided I would have to lay down and use a heating pad for the pain to go away. I also had some prescription from my old doctor that did not help at all. My new doctor gave me the lowest dose possible of a new prescription that I would have to take daily. I took the medicine for 1 month back in January but there were a few mornings when I forgot. The pain occurred on a day I had yoga class. My instructor will usually ask what's going on with our bodies. Barely able to move I spoke up and shared my issue. I also explained the doctor's response and remedy. That night during yoga we worked on twisting our trunks/abdominal areas. It worked! My instructor said, there you go......no prescription needed. She was right! I haven't refilled my prescription. I've had this pain occur twice since January and each time I do the poses and movements I can remember from yoga class for about 20 minutes and follow up with the heating pad. The pain is gone instantly.

I've seen an article not to sleep on your right side. This position slows down digestions and crushes your spleen and heart, etc. I've looked at the picture/article more than once. It makes logical sense. I have fallen asleep on my right side since I was 18 years old. I'm very conscientious about this position because if I don't fall asleep in this position there's a good chance I will have muscle spasms. The other night I tried starting out on my left side and sure enough my body was twitching like crazy. I do switch positions often most nights and every once in awhile I will fall asleep on my back. So who knows what this means for my inside's - at least I'm counter balancing with some yoga!

Just remember letting your ego and the media over-ride those hidden messages your body is telling you may not always be the healthiest key to success!!









No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...