Saturday, April 1, 2017

Meal Prep

Since I have been thinking about complex ADLs and living life to it's fullest, I need to remember we all need to eat! Most people love to eat! I must admit, this is a weaker priority for me therefore I haven't really made food and eating a major part of living a well balanced life.

We are living in a time when certain groups of people view food as art. Other people are viewing food as our life line to living happier and longer than the generation before (which is a real thing, you can't argue these facts).  A smaller group of people can use food as healthy nutrients and art wrapped up into one. The media and our fast paced lives hinder both of these philosophies.  Once women started working outside of the home and technology increased we wanted food fast. I believe this is because we want everything fast and we want more of everything. Why would food be different? Like the groups of people mentioned above I would have to agree and over abundance of fast, fake food is really unfortunate, for all of us. It's just that I have struggled to value the effort to make a strong change. I'd like to hire a shopper and cook. Or, I can just rotate who's house I visit each night for dinner.

Foodies and health nuts would be a little disappointed in my food habits. I grocery shop when I am out of food for my cats and/or milk and cereal. However, when I do shop I make a conscious effort to buy 1-2 pre-made salads by Meijer's Market Fresh section along with salad dressing. I always buy pre-cut fruit and sometimes I pick up pre-cut veggie's (if I'm in the mood). I've found the right texture of yogurt for me that has more protein than sugar and I love cereal and eggs. About 1-2 times a month I cook a meal that has left overs. I like snacks. tortilla chips/cheese/salsa happens often.  This past week I bought hummus just to take a break from chips and salsa. Yogurt and raisin toast or popcorn also happens for dinner a lot if I've had a decent bigger lunch.

The weeks I don't grocery shop, my habits change. If I run out of fruit and yogurt why not pick up junk food at QD while passing through town? Why not pick up a fast food sandwich? However, I have my favorite places to buy a salad in the areas I live and work. I have decided not to tell myself I can't have certain things to eat. However, the weeks I eat out 3 times or more I muster up the strength to go to the grocery store. I kind of like that by nature I'm a snacker because I eat smaller portions.
As long as I am mindful about what the snacks are, I'll be semi healthy. In terms of food being an art, I'll bite and try these unique meals every so often. Life should be about adventure and more often than not, these meals are pretty tasty.

Friends of mine have tried the pre-measured meals and recipes that are delivered to their doors such as Blue Apron. My issue with this idea is I'm pretty terrible at cutting and chopping food especially when my day has been full of work duties, errands and chores.

Does this mean that individuals who are working full time jobs and managing a disability are naturally going to be more slack with healthy eating habits? Fast food or pre-made items are going to be more convenient for people who have used up all their time and energy for other components of life.  

I think we're all in a mini battle with what food our society has to offer. Some of us are more willing to attempt to plan and strive for a healthier lifestyle with what we put into our bodies. Unless we all have a personality where this is thought of as a hobby individuals with health issues aren't going to put the effort needed into meal preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...