Tuesday, April 4, 2017

April is OT Month





Happy 100th Birthday Occupational Therapy!

100 years ago the founders of OT had a passion for rehabilitating soldiers who were wounded during The Great War. What started out has an idea to assist soldiers who were struggling with PTSD and had lost limbs be able to keep their hands and minds "occupied" and eventually work to earn money again has grown into a profession that changes the lives of many. The first pediatric OTs worked with children during the polio epidemic.

This is a profession that helped me learn how to hand write, tie a shoe, ride a bike and type on a key board for the first time. It has also given me the idea and foundation to always live life to it's absolute fullest. This means trying new things when I don't think it's possible and asking for help when I am certain things are going to be hard. I have instilled in me it's important to remain as independent as possible because of this profession. It's important for me to continue to use all the components and frame work of OT to stay organized by managing my time, resting and relaxing when appropriate and always realizing my whole body/mind will be effected when I make decisions.

This profession has also provided with me with a pay check and a secure job. It has introduced me to children who have inspired and taught me in so many ways. It has taught me patience and dedication and allows me to utilize my empathetic nature on a daily basis. I have been able to teach many children how to hand write, cut with scissors and tie shoes. I'm able to watch children live their lives to the fullest because of this profession.

Today, I will celebrated Occupational Therapy's milestone by having lunch at Olive Garden with my first OT! We discussed how my caseload at school is going and how much OT has changed in the school setting because education is rapidly changing, the effects vision therapy may have on me and how reasonable accommodations aren't necessary for me because I am consistently using tricks of the trade to independently take care of myself.

This is a really cool link celebrating 100 years of OT:
http://www.otcentennial.org/

Be sure to check out the uniforms OTs used to wear!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...