Sunday, April 10, 2016

Down time - A Gift to Yourself

Kim"ism"

Down time can be a good thing, if we allow it to be. I should know - this was a very quiet week for me. It's not preferred that I spend lots of time by myself but I think I would miss these opportunities if I did not have them. I am terrible at multi tasking so I had the chance to get some of the obvious this done like grocery shopping and laundry. I even had the chance to think about washing curtains and cleaning cabinets. I set a couple of personal goals for myself such as going to yoga twice in one week and writing several blogs in one week.

What I have noticed about my down time now versus several years ago, is that I am not a fish out of water when I am forced to be alone. Those feelings of pure loneliness and being uncomfortable have decreased. Don't get me wrong, I prefer to be with people and keep busy (with meaningful tasks) but in my 20s I remember dreading a Sunday alone.

I don't know if it's maturity or all of the yoga I have been going through, but down time is more
appreciated than ever before. I witness an epidemic among American's - the more money you spend and the busier you are the better. I have kind of made it a goal to go against the cool kids with this because it really makes no sense in terms of physical. emotional or mental health.  If you can't spend time with yourself, who else is going to want to be with you? Learn to keep yourself company, listen to your great ideas and give yourself time to follow through with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...