Friday, April 8, 2016

Expectations

There's a lot of Kim "isms" coming this week!

I guess it is important to think about the level of expectation I place on myself and others as well as society's expectations for all of us.

I tend to set very high expectations for myself which means I have very high expectations for other people. This has been a blessing and a curse. I have personally accomplished so much and I don't waste much time on relationships that are unsatisfactory for me. However pushing myself can be exhausting and stressful. Expecting a lot out of other people is also exhausting and stressful and keeps me from forming extremely deep relationships. It has been a shock to learn other people aren't always going to do what you expect them to do.

It is also interesting how expectations tend to shape trends for each generation. Each generation has
been expected to earn a higher level of education, earn more money, be better athletes, own more materials than their parents. If we don't sing Christmas carols/bake more/shop more or go on spring break trips when everyone else does, we feel like we are missing out on something. I keep thinking of the things we all "should be" doing. Many of these things are being driven by consumerism and the media. I suppose this is what makes a group a society!

Do your own personal expectations or the expectations from our society stress you out?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...