Monday, April 4, 2016

Following Up!

As a follow up to my post about what is missing in children's IEPs in today's school setting I felt the need to share some of my thoughts. I read some of the comments from the parents on "The Mighty's" Facebook page. Since I have some understanding of the parents/families perspective as well as the knowledge of what happens behind the scenes on a professional IEP team, my input maybe beneficial. I want parents to understand since schools and special education seems to be following a business model, numbers and production are important. I have read some Occupational Therapists in Michigan have caseload's of 90 children. I work with colleague's who have a caseload of 60. Even though my caseload is smaller than this, I am responsible for 10-11 buildings who request screenings, referrals, ideas and direct therapy services. In many instances a COTA (certified therapy OT assistant) is fulfilling direct therapy services and providing input in buildings that have higher needs for OT services. This is very helpful. If there is COTA support the more buildings the OT can cover to complete evaluations and give suggestions from referrals. The role of an OT is very consultative in a school setting. There is a lot of observation and consultation with school staff and parents. Then recommendations are given as to how to help the child succeed in the mainstreamed classroom. These recommendations are usually followed through by the school staff and parents. This is because the OT is working in other districts and buildings throughout the work week. Many times they are only available via email, phone and scheduled appointment due to the high levels of schools they cover. To administrators and to the business community, this is a success! I have to admit, for many children in my districts, this is working.
Someone's Power Point presentation I found while searching on Google images.

However, there are a number of children that this is not working for. I can sense the frustration while I am at work from parents and teachers. I also read the frustration in some of these comments on Facebook. It is not always the individuals on the IEP team making themselves unavailable. It's a systemic perception that rehabilitation and education is a business. Politicians and administrators have deep roots of belief that numbers and productivity are the main concern. The majority of these people have never done an evaluation for a wheelchair or set up a sensory diet. But yet they are providing us with the amount of minutes each of these roles should take. I give these two examples that an OT should be involved in because there really isn't a prediction on the amount of time it takes for these things that are ongoing. In fact, rehabilitation is ongoing.

Parents and families are tax payers and schools are public agencies that are payed for by them. This
Someone's Power Point presentation I found while searching on Google images.
means families have the right to dictate the roles of OTs and other therapists in their schools. If you feel like your school has access to an OT once a week or once a month for screens and evaluations but then again after suggestions are given, there is no help in sight...ask why? Ask why an OT couldn't just have time to give teacher in-services or only observe classrooms with nobody specific on their caseload. If you ask enough change may occur. In a business, the customer is always right. In situations like this it is important to remember to focus on the systematic issues at hand and not individual professionals.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...