Sunday, May 8, 2016

Teacher Appreciation Week

According to all the sales and discounts this is the last day I have to make a tribute to all the great teachers out there. Many times I can tell who I am chatting with (hairdressers, scientists, engineers or Teachers!). Usually they are social and loving to all different types of people and often have great sense of humors. They are the ones at group events who are able to entertain the kids and still able to know what the adults are talking about. They are masters at business casual dress.

As I look around it's not hard to see that public education is changing, Test taking, new curriculum requirements, changing policies, lack of funding, kids that are struggling with a variety of personal issues are all things weighing heavy on educators minds. At times it can be very distracting from the passion and drive that encouraged them to become an educator. I can't help but wonder if home schooling, charter schools or online programs are going to eventually out number public education they way the majority of adults knew it to be. And maybe that's ok? Looking back in history how long have things ever stayed the same? Maybe we shouldn't be so scared or worried about change.

Fortunately people are still human and it is my belief that it is human nature to want to connect, teach and influence individuals of the younger generations. I see these qualities in Izzo and Dantonio, a colleague who has recently opened her very own pre-school because things occurring in the public setting were stealing her passion and drive. I saw it in so many of my educators ranging from a pre-school teacher who sent birthday cards well into my twenties to college instructors. Books such as Tuesday's With Morrie have become famous because of this desired need to connect with our youth and provide an influence, wisdom and knowledge. The educators that I am thinking of influenced me in ways they could never imagine. They were some of the people that believed in me before I believed in myself. And that is what makes educators so special.

Currently working in a public school setting I have 2 sensory reports to write up, Medicaid monthly summaries, a grant to provide information for, my own milage form and a professional development form to complete. These are things I really don't want to do on a beautiful Sunday and because of that feeling I feel like lesser of an OT. But it's important to remember to look at the big picture and maintain a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...