Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Who needs sleep?!?

We all do! This is not a trick question.


Work hard...play harder....sleep well.

If we are all sleeping poorly how are we going to be able to fit everything in?  How are we going to be able to chase and teach our youth, shuffle bureaucracies, expand our knowledge or fulfill or dreams?

I decided to really think about sleeping patterns right now because it's dark and cold all the time and bears are doing it, so we should be too.  Let's hibernate!

I do realize that there are times when we can't help a conflicted sleep pattern. Caring for babies, getting sick, and feeling like we are missing out on certain life events by going to bed on time. But the majority of us begin to take on the attitude that we are able to do it all, so sleep gets pushed aside. Getting a good nights sleep on a regular basis is truly underestimated and almost frowned upon. However, so many of us are spending money on expensive beds, essential oils, pillows and medications just to sleep.  When and how did this become a barrier?  This seems like this should be our easiest task throughout our life span.  If it was an easy task think about all of the benefits! Better concentration, weight loss, stronger immune systems, along with so many other benefits.

I'll admit, sleeping well for me has been tricky throughout my adult life. Any type of stress (good or bad) causes emotional reactions which effects my sleep.  I also have sore muscles and struggle with muscle spasms which also effects my sleep. The past couple of years have been the most peaceful time in my adult life however I still wake up at about 4am sometimes and my mind will just race about the most irrational things for awhile.  I don't go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning. Even though I don't have a TV in my bedroom I still will fall asleep on the couch to the TV or be checking Facebook right before I fall asleep. I will also say I have used a memory foam pillow for 15 years. This week I have been working on replacing my 6 year old expensive pillow.  I found a $123 pillow for $52 (the 2nd attempt on a new pillow) and I woke up with a sore neck.  Apparently I like things a little worn down and broken in.

I do know that massages, yoga and less drama in my life have caused me to have better sleeping patterns than I did in my twenties.

Are you a good sleeper?  What are your tricks to have healthy sleep patterns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4pqqzFWedc




No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...