Thursday, December 29, 2016

Sleep and Occupational Therapy/Disability

This has been a quick series with thinking about sleep issues and how important it is to rest well in order to have a holistic approach towards life, in order to be as fulfilled as possible.

To wrap up these ideas and thoughts about sleeping well I decided to google "Occupational Therapy and sleep" and then "adults with cerebral palsy and sleep."  The link about the OTs role mentions how lack of sleep decreases work productivity and performance and increases absenteeism. I was also reminded of the OTs role in providing sensory integration techniques and appropriate posture and body mechanics while sleeping (I will fill you in tomorrow).

Then while googling adults with CP and sleep I learned there are lots of writers with CP. Very few......still have yet to come across one with my OT and rehab counseling background.  But there's lots of complaints about sleeping.

I 100% agree about the complaints. My neck is still healing from a new pillow...this is becoming similar to shoe shopping (which also sort of sucks as well).

However, with my unique spicy twist to all of this baggage we're all having to face, I realized that I am the only one attempting to provide a positive outcome.

Just surround yourself with spas, mindfulness, peace, gratuity, yoga and basically.....kick CP's ass!!!

We all need to remember to spoil ourselves a little more, with or without CP. It's dark...hibernate.

Anyways, here are the links:

https://www.cerebralpalsyguidance.com/cerebral-palsy/associated-disorders/sleep-issues/

https://www.cerebralpalsyguidance.com/2016/12/20/living-cerebral-palsy-sleep-not-sleep/

http://www.aota.org/about-occupational-therapy/professionals/hw/sleep.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...