Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Energy Expense Therapist

I'd like to write about taking showers and getting dressed. ADL's.  I would like to approach this topic in the most positive way possible however I think it should be addressed and I'm a good person to approach this topic.

Earlier this year I wrote a post about how I'm very good at savoring everything such as eating food, reflecting on emotions and the different experiences I go through...AND...the boring mundane tasks that most of you multi-task through. Things that don't even cross your wild imagination.

Getting ready in the morning: 1.5 hours and 2 hours if I eat breakfast at home.  Note: this does include feeding cats (opening and scooping out wet food and also making my bed....which I really prefer to do).  Toss in there making a lunch and checking and paying attention to "the stupid smart phone"........we're looking at 2.5-3 exhausting hours.

At night, another 1-1.5 hours depending on whether or not I shave my legs and whether or not I tend to the "stupid smart phone."

Come on, I am a sophisticated professional woman....3 different hair products and a different face moisturize for morning and night is something that I value.  Even if it does exhaust me.

"The stupid smart phone" one more obligation or just a really bad habit.  It's also causing neck pain...a stressed or pinched nerve I believe.  To me, it's a blessing in disguise....my neck hurting means I can focus on other things that are more productive and meaningful.

In the morning, I think I have used my "stupid smart phone" as a break when my neurological system, body and muscles are thinking, hold on here.......we're supposed to be moving 100% after not moving for the past 6-8 hours.  In a perfect world, I need the time in the morning to for my body and neurological system to wake up.  In an imperfect world I am an adult with CP working full time in a non-stop system and I need to work on lighting a fire under my ass in the morning.

I read an article written by an OT giving individuals with fibromyalgia advice on their energy conservation.  One of the ideas was to keep a journal to keep track of times of day and different activities that exert the most amount of energy.  I love the idea and I am 100% into time management and finding ways to make my life easier - so I can participate in as many adventures as possible.  But a journal?  I think of my age and how I am not as busy as most professional women my age.  A journal, when?  While at work, as an OT, teacher, nurse?  While sifting through the emotions of adult relationships ups and downs, while raising kids? While managing a house?  Ah-ha, instead of looking at a "stupid smart phone."

To all OTs out there (I'm one with a very unique perspective)........routines for individuals who are physically or neurologically impaired are twice as hard to break as an active, flexible, "healthy" individual.  This is because if we have a certain way of using the bathroom or getting dressed and it works and it maintains our independence and pride, we are going to do it this way.  And yes, coming from a rehab perspective, this is a vicious cycle.

Watch me walk to my car, unlock my car, put my sunglasses and seat belt on.......guaranteed it takes me twice as long as it does for another person.  People will give me recipes and say "It's really easy, just chop everything up."  While it would take them 10 minutes of chopping, takes me 20 minutes.  And by the way - is it really a good idea for someone with my fine motor skills to be using knives as a daily routine?  Being able to complete the task and repeating the same task over and over, day after day suddenly becomes something that needs to be considered.

I feel lucky/blessed that most people who know me well forget there is a disability present in my body and world.  I forget sometimes.  I have been secretly thinking about this ADL routine for awhile now and it makes sense.  Fifteen years ago I had 20 things on my daily list that expends my energy.  Now?  I haven't kept a journal - yet.  But there's probably 1,000.  There's more required of me (what I expect from myself as an individual) and from society.  I've put the breaks on society's expectations of me because I think it's a bit ridiculous.

As I write this post I have realized I have a role for myself that only I can complete...The Energy
 Expense Therapist.  I think it is going to take motivation and determination to plan on taking care of my health/well being and energy levels and still making sure I live my life to it's maximum potential.

I like challenge.

This is a suitable role.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...