Monday, August 15, 2016

35 will be Fun!

Thank you for all of the birthday wishes last week :) So far 35 has been fun!  It's been full of good friends and great adventure. I promised I would not forget to blog about any adventures or leisure experiences!  

A friend of mine who has been listening to the stories of my journey got me a sign for my birthday that says just that, along with a mug that was suitable for what I believe in!

This weekend I went with two great friends and kayaked in Lake Superior up at Pictured Rocks!  It was for sure a rainy, cool adventure.  I was in the front of a tandem kayak and my friend was steering in the back.  It was a very sore/painful experience because my muscle tone rapidly changed/fluctuated as I worked to position myself, adjusted to the cold and my nervousness.  I was also working at increasing my upper body strength.  At the end of
the trip along the shoreline a realization struck me.....I don't get up off the floor or out of things like tubes or paddle boats with any grace or ease.  And that was the case on Saturday.  My friend and tour guide offered to pull or pick me up after seeing me struggle.  That felt awkward so I knew being semi dramatic and falling into the lake on my hands and knees would be the easiest.  I wore tennis shoes/socks and dry wick clothing, so I was soaked and cold for awhile, but in the end it all worked out!  It all looks so easy when other people are doing it!  I really had a lot of fun bumping into the Pictured Rocks along Lake Superior and I know that if I would have never tried, I would have always wondered what it would have been like.  I know myself........and I kept my iPhone in my dry car. Therefore, I have no proof of this wet experience.

Along with my taste of becoming an athlete in the wilderness I really enjoyed driving around the Upper Peninsula of this great state I live in.  Something wonderful happens to my soul when I am near large bodies of water!   So I made a good choice to spend time with friends, enjoying wine, ice cream (Peanut Butter Mackinac Fudge - yes really!), looking at waterfalls and the shorelines of Pure
A Lake MI Selfie! 
Michigan.

Here's to a start to another great year!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...