Saturday, August 20, 2016

A Series of Sunday Nights!


I try to avoid the fact that August is just not my favorite month.  I mean, the weather is great! And we all get to celebrate - Me (haha, just kidding).  Really, my birthday tends to represent the end of summer.  Even as a kid I got new school supplies and school clothes for my birthday.  Everyone in education gets it and we all tend to be in our own separate society during certain times of year (and this is one of those times).

I am responsible and put my work email account on my phone, so I can show up where I am supposed to be.  Slight twitches occur when there is something in that account in June and July.  What could be so important?  On July 31, 2016 at 6:30pm.....I receive an email through my work account, that was worth wondering what this school year would look like.  Then I mentally stopped myself - it is Friday night and still July.  There have been other emails and official gatherings to prepare for the school year sprinkled throughout the month of August.  I must admit, I pretty calm about this.  I have seriously begun to realize that we can only deal with what's happening during the here and now.  I could honestly care less about how different things will look this next school year.  Pay me and I will cherish being apart of these kids education.  There are so many things I can work on drowning out of my work days.  It's stability and making an impact on the little people.  I am certain there will be things that make my teeth grind and cause sleepless nights, but for today, that's not my concern.

I know some of my co-workers feel differently and want to discuss changes.  I have read on Facebook that teachers have nightmare's/dreams about the first week of school during the month of August.  I get all of this because of the effort and level of dedication they put into these little people who will one day shape our world!  It's a huge job!  I can't help but wonder if my lack of anxiousness and anticipation is really a good thing.  For now, I appreciate it! However, I do believe sweaty palms and a racing mind spikes some sort of motivation and excitement to get our rooms ready, pack our lunch bags and put our new shoes on to make this the best school year yet for these littles.  

I am a little overwhelmed by the fact that my personal life will more than likely be put to a halt for the next 9 months.  I still have 6 months of mail/papers to organize in my home office, childhood crap in my parents basement to sort, stain my front porch, clean my garage, weed my flower beds, see my little sister and blog a few more times before my freedom ends.  I also have an afternoon of work meetings that are scheduled outside of my contract on Wednesday (8/24) because I am dedicated to the kids I service. Summer is officially over as this last week is essentially planned out for me with some really exciting/happy things (??).  These are all things we tend to save for Sunday's, unless you are really motivated to plan Sunday Fun Day's.

Once September hits, fall will feel much more enjoyable!  Busy, but routine a routine will be in place. For all of those educators out there...keep planning and organizing and remember you are amazing for wanting to try so hard.  If it gets tough just breathe and practice gratuity of the memories of the past couple months.  Warm summer nights, lakes, fireflies, good memories of friends and family are just a few months away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...