Wednesday, July 27, 2016

My Extended Leash.

2006
I love to travel to see and experience new things. If I took bucket lists seriously I'd say I want to travel to as many places as possible. Earlier this year I would have said "Yes, I do have a bucket list. And yes, traveling as much as possible is on that list." However, this year I was faced with decisions when it came to traveling and the limited funds I do have for this hobby. I could keep traveling to see close friends of mine to places I have already been or I could start traveling to new places and start taking tours on my own. I attempted to try and combine both of these hopes/passions and with lots of planning it worked out for the best. I made the right choice and decided to take a large trip with easy access to friends I have known a long time. For obvious reasons, nurturing old friendships feels good and comforting.

2006
During one of my deep conversations with someone special to me we had discussed the concept of
everyone having a leash of places they frequent and what they consider "home." Even people that travel more than I do have 1 or 2 spots that they consider their comfort zone.  Places where you can get around without needing to make plans before you get there. When you are there you can just enjoy the sights, sounds, smells, people and former memories while you are there.  That need to post pictures of the scenery on social media wears off.

While I was standing in La Jolla for the 3rd time in 10 years, I realized that this place was becoming a part of my very long extended leash. It is for sure one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.  I looked around and remembered where certain pictures were taken the first 2 times I was there.  I vividly remembered how new, different, beautiful, and magical this place felt in 2006.  I took pictures of every inch because digital cameras were new and I thought I would never be back.  Each time I have gone there I have shared it with a larger circle of friends and people that I really enjoy being around.

In between the conversations and walking around in July of 2016, I just had this realization there is
2008
no reason why my comfort zone has to remain in Michigan.  I had never really had those feelings before and it was kind of a liberating "ah-ha" moment. In fact, my comfort zone/leash is probably going to be where "my people" are. This realization feels very limitless. Whereas, the bucket list concept seems like a social media/new millennium concept where everybody "should be" doing certain things?  We're all sticking to a list then?  Is that a thing? My list looks so completely different than it did at 18 or 29 years.  And I was sensing negative feelings when I had to make revisions. How many list revisions do we all get? I may just hit the delete button and be more spontaneous! None of us truly know what is going to happen. Hopefully, when least expected, better things that what is on our bucket lists!

2016
2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...