Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Deep Conversations...Feel So Good!

This is a tricky hobby/past time. One of my favorite things to do is talk and listen. I can carry on deep conversations with several different types of people. I'm an open, honest person and I have also been told I am a good listener and non-judgmental. If I could sit on a porch or beach and eat snacks and have meaningful conversations with good people the majority of the time, I would gladly do it!  I would sign up for these situations daily if I could!  For the most part, I feel like people and the lives they lead are just fascinating.  It can feel like an honor knowing that someone wants to share their stories with me and it also feels good to be heard.  It can make a friendship (regardless of how long you have known someone) feel more intimate.

However, even though I have a tendency to be a good listener and easily strike up deep conversations with everyone, I have to be careful of my emotions and tolerance for what I hear. I tend to hear about people's problems and negative secrets which can be an exhausting situation to be in.  So, it has been a learning experience for me to find a balance in listening to other people's experiences and not always taking it so personally.  I have learned that many times people want and need someone to listen to them so they are able to learn and grow as they hear themselves.  I know that I have definitely relied on people while I have "vented" about a situation.

So, yummy food and drink; pondering the meaning of life; outside; and somewhere peaceful and warm?!? I am for sure a person that can hold my own in these types of situations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...