Sunday, July 24, 2016

Flowers. Landscaping. Memories!

As I have entered mid-adulthood I have discovered that I really enjoy landscaping! I also really enjoy decorating the inside of my home as well but landscaping gives me the chance to be outside while designing and matching colors. I love matching colors whether it is clothes/outfits, home decor, puzzles, scrap booking/photography or even crocheting. The more color and potential for color schemes and matching, the better!

My dad has always been into plants and flowers. When I was little he became a member of the American Iris Society. He had award winning iris in the annual show for the society each year. When I was in middle school I actually created flower arrangements with a theme to have them judged in these shows. I also won awards/ribbons for doing this.  During the weekend of my graduation open house my dad had The State Journal come through and take pictures of his iris and backyard. At the end of the school year I would take a bouquet of iris to my teachers. I did this all the way through college. When I was 18 and my friends mentioned getting a tattoo I knew exactly what to get...a purple iris of course! The past couple of years friends from the San Diego and Phoenix area have texted me and said they saw purple iris while they were out and about and have thought of me.

When I was younger I knew I really liked being outside. What I didn't realize/understand is that I like to be active and move more than I liked laying around or sitting outside. I learned this the summer I
had to put in a lawn all by myself. I had more fun watering my yard and watching my grass grow than I did the summer before laying by the pool and reading.

When I decided I would have a house with a yard, my dad and I decided it would be best if we planted low maintenance perennials . I loved learning about different types of hostas and bushes but knew I wanted lots of color.  So then I began to learn about different types of lillies, peonies and daisies. I also wanted flowers that gave me the first sign of spring.  So I decided to add daffodils and tulips.  One of my favorite pictures that I have ever taken was of purple iris and orange poppies in one of my dad's flower beds. So, of course I had to recreate this flower bed in my own yard.  Together, my dad and I had planned out each flower bed.  For the main one in the front yard my dad and I even had a drawing. He had a hand in helping me pick out the plants, dirt, mulch and landscaping brick.
Let's not forget about rocks, bird feeders, patios and out door furniture. If I had more money I would definitely have a better yard than I already do!

It is my thought that some of the coolest people I have ever met were great landscapers (including my dad).  The second summer I lived in my house and was setting up flower beds I was reminded of the symbolism of white butterflies. Memories flooded of my late neighbor, Sue who died of cancer when I was 16. I remembered her beautiful yard and her landscaping.  I remembered her smile and laugh and positive nature.  So, last summer I dug a large square of the living grass I had planted 2 years earlier and bought a butterfly bush. I know one of the best neighbors I've ever had is smiling somewhere with appreciation! Her memory as is just one of the reasons as to why I am encouraged to have a beautiful yard!

Once again..........why just pick a hobby or past time because your peers are doing it or because
huffington post, facebook and pintrest strongly suggest it?!?  Dig a little deeper my friends.....what are some of the things that make you...you??  What makes your soul happy when nobody else is watching or giving you input?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...