Sunday, June 18, 2023

Traveling alone?!

 


I am reading a book where the author travels alone around the world to very random places. Sometimes she is traveling for job opportunities and other times she is traveling for self discovery. I have heard that traveling alone is one of the greatest gifts and adventures someone can give themselves. I see some benefits however I also feel like the few times I have tried to take a day trip alone I don't really enjoy myself. Maybe I haven't perfected the art of being alone and independent? I find myself with thoughts swirling through my head "I'm okay even though I'm alone." "Nobody is going to notice you're alone." "This is fun and the only opinion you need to have, is your own Kim." "This is relaxing and quiet and I'm lucky to have a few minutes to myself." "Is this really safe?" 

While reading the book, the other describes being alone in a hut made of mud on an island in Cambodia with only her driver who offered to show her a place of the beaten path. She describes the loneliness and missing her mom, husband and the familiarity of TV blaring in the background...because she was experiencing just the opposite. Thoughts rushed through my head such as "I can feel lonely and miss the people I'm closest to where I'm comfortable." "Hell no, this is not something I want to strive for." Several pages later the author is writing about a trip she is on with her family. In order to drown out the input from her mom and son, she closes her eyes and visualizes herself sitting in the mud hut isolated. This helped her feel grounded, safe and happy. She definitely appreciated her memory. Once again, I realized traveling alone and grasping the adventure behind it is a major component and phenomenon I have yet to understand and experience. 

On the flip side, I started thinking of all the different types of people I have traveled with and the lesson and the laughs I have had because of them. They are definitely memories I cherish and try to reminisce about. 

It's interesting  I chose to write this as a blog post because I'm willing to admit there's a boring and a fearful streak inside me. As time goes on it will be interesting to see if I add traveling alone to my list of life experiences! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...