Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Personal Integrity = a routine


The past couple of days it has felt like I am past the initial shock of what it's like to work. Day trips are completed for another summer, zillions of meetings are planned and on a priority list I have set for myself. I like my schedule this year. I'm just working my way towards completing the priority list. I think part of this plan will be starting work earlier each day.  And I will remember filling out an IEP a day, keeps the stress away.  I've also come to realize, my smarts, imagination, love for OT exists, so why not be a fieldwork educator to all of these young students and have them physically help me execute my smarts, imagination and love for our profession.  I have an OTA student who is 3 weeks into her fieldwork and raring to go.  So, the next 5 weeks is just about helping her gain independence with the little students we share. I just have to execute and take action with the paperwork while she works on her confidence during therapy with the kids. 

I have been working really hard to keep a routine and limit the distractions that effect this. As I know routines are important, but sometimes I get stuck. A routine seems unnecessary at 6:30pm when I'm watching the news and playing on my phone & it's now 7:30. And I think about how unfair it is that it's darker sooner and I had to give up my bike ride and I should clean........something (it doesn't matter what, but it's unfair I couldn't). Isn't it just easier to complain how much time I don't have? Isn't it unfair to have a routine after I have worked all day? 

This could have been my scenario tonight. But this afternoon when I knew I was heading home, alone to my Hut........I reminded myself there's just a lot of "stuff" on your agenda......keep going! And it worked. My head will be on the pillow by 10:30pm and I got so much done. 

If we don't take care of ourselves.......we're lacking personal integrity. 

When I heard this about a week ago I realized, if I don't have personal integrity, I can't tell my supervisor, or new friend or future partner..........yes, I'm a person with integrity. That has made me think twice while reviewing some of the changes I could make for myself. 

Being a person with integrity just sounds really cool, worldly, successful! 

So, ok! I'll go with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...