Sunday, May 21, 2017

Being Alone? Yay or Nay?



Last year, I posted about time alone. And I still feel like this is a phenomenon I'd like to post about from time to time.

I don't know where I stand on the issue. Am I extroverted or introverted? Do I feel like I need more shallow conversation and activity over time to myself?

I'll be honest......I prefer long deep conversations where both people are gaining something from listening and talking. I want activities I am doing and places I go to become meaningful and fond memories that I can cherish. I also want my quiet time to feel precious and valued. Yes, I truly do want it all!

I do believe for anyone to get these levels it takes practice. Reflecting back 4 years ago, I remember lots and tears and fears about my time alone. My circumstances haven't changed much - I live and work in the same place and my relationship status is the same.  But I have set personal goals for myself to really know who I am when I'm alone, at work, with good friends or new acquaintances. I feel like a completely different person than I was 4 years ago.

I do have routines when I am alone (which is more often than most 35 year old ladies). More often than not I find myself turning off the TV or radio just to listen to the noises outside or the clock tick. Staying in my PJs and not heading out to Target for entertainment is easily accomplished these days. At times, I also think my inner thoughts are pretty cool too!  I don't know if this is because in general I am just busier than I ever have been before or if I am older and my nervous system is depleting - or both!

I am thinking with maturity and my knowledge of mindfulness, I am learning, growing and changing! And I am a person who can truly say, I like being with myself! Some people grow old and never have this feeling.

My overall goal is to have 60% of my life be full of being with others, whether that's experiencing new things or listening/caring for them. The other 40% is my time alone to collect my thoughts/ideas and take care of my mind/body soul. And even though life is never perfect, why not strive for 99.9% of positive thoughts and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...