Sunday, September 11, 2016

How OT Relates to Organization and Time Management


It is easy to say OTs should be discussing play/leisure, work and other activities of daily living with individuals they service because these are obvious performance areas.  But I realize organization and time management seems like a very gray area.  Especially for billing purposes.

My thought is, we all need to strive to be good at organization and time management so we can remain happy/healthy while we are fulfilling each performance area to our maximum potential.

When thinking about it, as a person with cerebral palsy I am at less of a risk for falling, cutting myself when using a large knife or using poor speech when I sleep better.  This seems like an obvious example for everyone because it is so physical.

There are many cognitive components that I am capable of if I have adequate amounts of sleep and also ideal an ideal environment for my body.  Even if I have a superb memory (which I do), an in tact attention span (which can be spotty), problem solving skills related to my skills set/training and other cognitive skills to sit down and write an Occupational Therapy report, I could still struggle at work if I do not have superb time management skills.  I need to be in certain buildings at certain times and prepared for meetings at different times of day.  Without focusing on organization and time management I could essentially let my administrators down and loose my job.

Basically Occupational Therapists are taught if individuals are unable to complete performance components (motor and cognitive skills) then they are going to be unable to perform their simple ADLs (toileting, bathing, eating) and then more complex ADLs (work, play, household maintenance, driving/community mobility).

How do you feel your ability to problem solve, learn and attention span is when you are stressed, tired or distracted?  Will your work day be productive?  Will you enjoy your hobbies and relationships with others?  Will your "to do" list (if you have one) ever disappear?  Do you want others who are stressed, tired, distracted driving on the road while your kids are on the way to school on the bus?  Do you want your surgeons, pilots or kids teachers to have decreased cognitive or motor skills?  Is it okay if these individuals are a little disorganized and not on time?  Then, why is it okay for you?

I realize that America's administrators/bosses/supervisors are not all OTs.  Even if they have been told, they seem to forget that if someone is disorganized, not well rested and not happy this person will not be a productive employee.  But what can you do as an individual to be organized, more healthy and a better employee?

Where do you think you would start?  More sleep?  More time for hobbies and loved ones?  Spending a month or two to declutter?  Adding time in your day to meditate or take a power nap? Making a list of things that truly matter to you and then working hard to say "No" to the other things that are not as important?  Maybe you want to spend some time on Google researching to make sure that this post isn't just completely silly?  But why would you strive for insomnia and other forms of stress to fit "stuff" into your schedule, to purposely decrease your cognitive skills?

The 2nd link I found today is an article that states "time management benefits you."  It makes sense to me, put your life mask on yourself before you save others.


 https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/280638
https://timemanagementninja.com/2013/10/the-top-10-life-benefits-of-time-management/

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...