Sunday, January 24, 2016

Finding a Balance

I guess this is a follow up to last weeks post. I felt like I was missing some important concepts or thoughts regarding "everything in moderation." It may sound like a repeat of last weeks post but I feel like my thoughts are in better order this week.

1. I feel like it is healthiest to maintain a certain level of homeostasis when approaching life. Homeostasis is a "state of psychological equilibrium obtained when tension or drive has been reduced or eliminated" or the ability to "maintain internal stability" (dictionary.reference.com). Therefore finding a balance or realizing every component of life should be attempted with the goal of moderation is good. It will lower stress levels, anxiety and blood pressure.

2.) Life has it's ups and downs. It's not a flat line which is the visual that comes to mind when we think of something like homeostasis or our balance. But if it is a flat line, then that means we are dead! I feel like downward slopes should be discussed and even celebrated just like the ups. However it concerns me that society shapes us all to believe that we should be climbing a linear uphill celebration. I tend to see it has more of a false battle. Anything less than a linear uphill battle isn't really celebrated, in fact we tend to punish ourselves which causes behaviors we all aren't proud of at times.

3.) Addiction. If it is all or nothing with something major or minor maybe it is best to ask yourself, why? Why am I pushing so hard? Why am I avoiding this or that? What causes a negative or bad behavior? How are you feeling when it is all or nothing? Unhealthy? Guilty? If it's a healthy behavior your kind of obsessing over (working to hard, exercising and eating right)...why are you so obsessed? Please be sure there's no resentment or anger involved in striving to be the "best."

Finding my balance isn't an easy task but it's something I want to always be mindful of and continue striving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...