Sunday, October 1, 2017

Prologue



I was born with this ugly part of me that has been bound to cause many hardships. Heavy and important questions weighed on my parents mind after they learned I had a mild form of cerebral palsy. Would I walk through schools, malls and on vacation? Would I earn an education that would lead me to a job that paid well? Would I be employed? Would I be able to take care of myself? Would I face discrimination from peers, employers, society? Would sports and other activities be hard for me? As I grew into an adult would my disability physically hurt? Would I blame this obvious physical mishap on every disappointment and challenge I faced in this life? 

The answer to all of these things is, yes even though the outcomes have never really been easy or handed to me. It all seems like I was born with a huge wall in front of me and my challenge is to find a way over the wall. Many would think this is a reason to approach life with despair, sadness or negativity.

I feel the complete opposite. This big ugly unfortunate thing that I was born with, has taught me so much! I see it as a gift. It's automatically given me the gift of empathy because I know we all have big ugly things we are dealing with. It has shaped my career and the relationships I have created. Since it was assumed I'd be living a life full of sadness and despair, it's very easy for me to make the little things in life that me happy a really big deal! Big or small accomplishments and things that make me smile last a little longer in my world. It has made me more perceptive. I've had to learn to separate CP issues with other flaws surrounding intense situations. It's made me smarter and more aware of what occurs in the world around me. If my an area of my body hurts, I find out why and figure out how to make it better by using rehabilitation. I know laws that protect me as a person with a disability and I am also not shy to seek out the help I need for any of life's situations even if it isn't related to my CP. It's taught me not to be scared to discuss or show imperfections and to seek the positive in the situations that I encounter. It's made me raw and has allowed me to live life to it's fullest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...