Saturday, February 27, 2016

Soft on the Outside! Hard on the Inside!

The Kim"isms" are back!

What do people say when you ask them who they are? Many times you will hear "I am somebody's mom or wife." Or "I am a nurse, or accountant."  Maybe you hear, "I like playing golf or every weekend in the summer I spend time on my boat." Those are great descriptions and pieces of individuals identities. But every mom, every accountant and every boat owner handles life's surprises and their journey's very differently! To me, realizing and accepting this is a great step to earning personal self confidence.

I kind of like Shrek's description, "I'm an onion, there are several different layers to me." I like this because it's truthful and not avoiding the emotional characteristics of who he is. I also think it's truthful for all of us. We all have different layers and all of our layers end up differently than the people around us.

Since we are on to the topic of food, awhile back it dawned on me that I am the opposite of a bagel! I'm soft on the outside and hard on the inside! On the outside I struggle physically and sometimes I need help. I am sensitive, so I cry easily and wear my heart on my sleeve. I come across like I trust easily and tend to be very agreeable with others. I am very lovable and others tend to open up easily to me. On the flip side I have realized that there isn't much I can't overcome as an individual. It takes a lot for me to give up on being successful or achieving a goal I set for myself. I am independent almost to a fault. I do have people in my life who are helpful, kind, fun and friendly. However, I depend on very few! Even though people view me as soft and easy to warm up to I feel like I will listen to my instincts be aware of my threshold for when I am being taken an advantage of or heading down the wrong path with someone.

Rather than saying what you do or what you enjoy, think about how you would describe yourself. What type of food are you?




No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...