Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Career Path. Detours? Or A Straight Path?

I missed out on all the fun of indecisiveness and the uncertainty of knowing what I wanted to do with my life when I was 15-20 years old.  I had a one track mind and that was to become an OT.  At the time I thought I was lucky and skipped the nonsense of not being focused.  I got down to business and worked hard to reach the career goals I set for myself.  As I have gotten older I've begun to realize that sometimes not knowing and tripping or stumbling along the way is part of the journey. Exploring several different options or changing your mind on a constant basis adds adventure and makes someone stronger and more prepared for the uncertainty's life has to offer.

So, now I guess I am lucky enough to say that I feel like my career path feels uncertain.  It's safe to say I would be bummed out and burned out if I continue to only be a paper pusher/shuffler in a bureaucratic system.  I don't always feel like an OT who is learning.  The kicker is, the bureaucratic system provides me healthcare and a pension (along with other pretty awesome benefits - summers off)!  I also love the location and people I work with. I am also in my mid 30s with a house and car payment.  So, I am torn.  I've felt this way for a couple of years now so I've begun to brainstorm.  This has been a long process and I guess I am beginning to narrow down the areas of interest I have.

Basically, I've really had to think about what I truly am passionate about.  The things that are still crossing my mind when I am busy or really tired.  I have thought about so many different options and paths I could take.  Many of these options seem to be options I "should be" taking.  Like when I tell someone this is the path I am now taking, he/she will become very excited and tell me to go for it. Or if I mention that I am bored or not satisfied I get advice to shift to a new job that would have the exact same down sides.  Some of these "should be" paths include an assistive technology certification, a PhD or beginning to work as a vocational rehab counselor.  All of these should be options have been things I ponder and then begin to explore and research and in my gut I just know it's not my path.  I look for excuses to not continue my research or exploration into these areas.  I think it is important to always trust your gut.

So far all of these "should be's" have been detours with dead ends. And that's ok!

As time goes on and I become more confident with myself I have begun to narrow down what I am truly passionate about.

Stay tuned as this all unravels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...