Thursday, July 16, 2015

Yoga and Stretching

At ages 16-19 years old I worked at a movie theater where I was standing and walking for 4-6 hours at a time.  I also swept floors with a broom and ripped tickets which caused repetition of inappropriate wrist movements.  I had chronic pain all over my body due to muscle tightness and carpal tunnel in both wrists.

I began OT and PT to deal with the pain.  I had wrist splints made and a shoe insert (orthodic) made. I was also introduced to pain and stress management.  I learned that I had to stretch my hamstrings daily to avoid pain.  I struck an interest in this area of rehabilitation and wrote many college papers based on management of chronic pain.  However it's taken 12-15 years to realize how much managing time/stress levels and stretching my whole body is going to change and effect my life.  It requires a time commitment and life style change and is a continuous work in progress.

Since the age of 18 I have known stretching, yoga and progressive muscle relaxation is good for me and important for my overall well being.  I have tried each in "bursts."

My first exposure to yoga was a class I took alone and I ended up dropping out because I didn't know anyone and I wanted to socialize.  I also tried a video of yoga poses for elderly people (I thought the poses and movements would be easier for me).  I enjoyed the video but it was very hard to get into a routine and stick with it.  In 2013 I began taking a weekly yoga class through the YMCA.  This class actually became a routine.  Eventually it turned into a yogalates class and had pilates mixed in with the yoga.  I really enjoyed this because of the challenge it offered me.  Even though I was taking a weekly class and was getting 60 minutes of core strengthening and stretching each week, I knew this was only the tip of the iceberg for what my body needed.  It has made a big difference but I knew I wanted to keep challenging myself to improve my strength and flexibility.  I have tried a water aerobics class and also a pure barre class.

The importance of stretching comes from conversations with physical therapists I work with in the school setting.  They have been willing to give me advice and support and answer questions when I have an achy area of my body. Having them around has encouraged me and been a motivator to try new stretches and keep a routine.  However, I must admit that I usually keep a stretching routine while watching TV at night for only about 2 weeks at a time.  I have also had periods of PT where I learn a lot while I attend for about a month at a time.  In 2012 I went to PT and learned a lot about stretching my low back and lower extremities as well as the beauty of core strength.  In the winter of 2015 I attended PT for upper back/scapular strengthening and stretching.  Of course I had to experience pain first.  A Sunday afternoon on a heating pad and also the inability to inhale without extreme pain near the back of my rib cage.  I have been working on keeping a routine to complete my PT stretches as often as possible, especially when I am not attending yoga on a weekly basis.

One of my goals has been to touch my nose to my knees while stretching my hamstrings.  Currently I can barely touch my toes which is actually a huge milestone! Overall I realize it is important to stretch as often as possible.  The yoga class I have been apart of has helped with this and also really helps my stress levels.

I have attached a few links related to individuals with CP doing yoga moves.  http://cerebralpalsy.org/inspiration/athletes/ryan-mcgraw/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/367150-yoga-for-cerebral-palsy/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF5gI0bGmg4

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEARNING HOW TO MAINTAIN A CAREER WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY

Cerebral palsy has helped determine the career path I have taken. With my role as a school based Occupational Therapist, I have challenges r...